Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

OPI Star Light Collection - Holiday 2015 - Swatches and Review

Hi beauty! I hope you're having a fabulous Holiday Season. I've been a busy-bee this season and shopping until my heart's content.  My nails are not looking their best, but there's a Holiday set that will help whip them into shape, and that's the OPI StarLight Collection.

First off, I can't remember a set this large. It's huge, 18 polishes, oh my!  OPI went all out with this collection, but enough babble, let's get started with the review.

Love is in The Cards
Medium red creme with a hint of blue. This is a great Christmas red, but probably dupe-able since it's a creme. I really like the formula on this one. It was opaque in 2 coats.  

Ro-man-ce On the Moon
Deep wine red with shimmer throughout. Another traditional Holiday color to help get you through the Season. Also opaque in 2 coats.  

Two Wrongs Don't Make a Meteorite
Now let's just stop for a moment and talk about this unique glitter. I just knew I would hate this one, but when I applied it over polish, I was pleasantly surprised. From a distance the large pieces of fractured glitter makes your nails glow, but up close I'm not sure if I like the look. I definitely don't hate it though. It may have to grow on me.  There are two of these unique glitters in the collection.  This one has silver and pink large glitter chunks (that I like to call fractured glitter) and small pink hex glitter. The glitter in this one is more diamond shaped.  The other fractured glitter is all pink irregular shaped glitter. I applied one coat over Ro-man-ce On the Moon. 

I'm in the Moon for Love 
Medium purple with a slight hint of blue. It has hidden pink shimmer throughout that gives it a smokey look. This was one of my least favorites from the collection. I didn't like the formula, it was a lot thicker than the others, but still required 2 coats.  

Infrared-y to Glow
I'm not sure what OPI has termed this glitter but I call it fractured because the pieces are all different from one another.  This version is all pink, more triangular shaped but still irregular glitter with small holographic hex glitter throughout. I used one coat over I'm in the Moon for Love.  

Guys & Galaxies
Chocolate-red vamp creme. I really like this one. In some lighting it looks red and brown in others. It was opaque in 3 thin coats.  A surprise favorite!

Let Your Love Shine
Nails a flame! The camera didn't capture the beauty of this polish. The red shimmer gives it a pretty glow and makes it perfect for the Holiday. The color is a red-wine, which is a little more interesting than the previous reds. I  used 2 coats here. 

Press * for Silver
A pretty muted silver, it's more of a rose-silver if that color exists. This is a unique polish for me but I'm not sure if I like the color. It's definitely neutral and can be streaky if not applied carefully.  I would call this finish more of a foil/shimmer that only needed 2 coats.  

No More Mr. Night Sky
Smokey blue/grey shimmer.  This one is really pretty on.  From some angles the shimmer looks blue. 

Ce-less-tial is More
One of my favs from the collection. This one is packed with glitter throughout.  Mostly silver, but some holographic that helps give it a pink hue.  Love!  I used 2 coats, but 3 would make it perfect.

Center of the You-niverse
Sheer black base with silver shimmer that makes it pop.  I was also surprised to see small black hex glitter throughout.  It's hard to see from a distance, so I would recommend only applying 1 coat, then touching up the see-through areas.  Gorgeous if you can get the application right.  

Give Me Space
An appropriately titled galaxy blue. I'm in love!  I think this is my favorite from the collection. Medium blue base with silver shimmer throughout.  A simple, yet stunning, combination.  I used 2 coats here. 

Cosmo with a Twist
Another deep, rich, color. Dark purple infused with blue/purple shimmer. The formula is thin enough to let the shimmer shine through.  I used 2 coats. 

OPI gave us a lot of silvers in this collection.  I hope you don't mind that I put them on 1 hand for comparison.  The first two have a hint of yellow (more of a champagne silver), 

Is this Star Taken? (thumb) - champagne silver base with tiny silver holographic bar glitter throughout. It's an interesting concept but the glitter looses some of it's shine because it gets lost in the polish

Comet Closer (pointer) - silver shimmer/foil in a clear base. Very thin formula yet opaque in 2 coats. 

By the Light of the Moon (middle) - medium and small silver hex glitter in a foil base. Another interesting concept but the glitter gets lost in translation. Maybe if the formula were thinner it would be more impressive. 

I Drive a Supernova (ring) - silver foil that must be applied with a careful hand to avoid streaks.  Nice formula, only needed 1 coat. 

Super Star Status (pinky) - silver micro, small and medium hex glitter in a clear base.  I applied just 1 coat, but it can be built up to make it as opaque as you like (see below). 

I like the collection and applaud OPI for stepping out of the red zone :)  Although there are a lot of silvers in the collection, the darker more intense colors are my favorites. Center of the You-niverse, Guys & Galaxies, Let Your Love Shine, Ce-less-tial is More and Give Me Space are the standouts in my opinion.

There are several cremes in the collection but they also offer some variety.  The fractured glitters are pretty unique.  I'm a true silver lover, but many of them are too similar.  I would have added maybe a green or two and opted out some of them.  For the most part, all of the polishes applied in 2 coats. There are some exceptions noted above.  Overall it's a fun collection and there are plenty of options to help bling out your nails this Holiday season! 


The StarLight Collection is available now at retailers that carry OPI. 






* Provided by OPI PR for an honest review*





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails